Stylebawn House Delgany
There used to be a line of Scots Pine down to Barry’s Bridge. Nowadays there are only 3 Scots Pines remaining.
These are the people that have lived in the house:
- In 1725 Miss Harrington
- In 1900 Mr. Owen
- In 1930 Ms Turton
- In 1946 Norman Goodbody
- In 1971 Gaisford St. Lawrence
In 2003 Style Bawn House was sold to developer Johnny Ronan and has been neglected for over 19 years.
Timothy Goodbody came to live in Delgany in the year 1946 at the age of four. Stylebawn house is a house on twelve acres. In the mornings Tim would have to break the ice in the toilet because the house was so cold.
When Tim was young he used to look for a tunnel that was supposed to run from Stylebawn house to the Old Rectory. He lifted the tiles in the kitchen once, when his parents were away. But he didn’t find it. Style Bawn house was built around the year 1923. Tim Goodbody lived in the house until the year 1969.
Stylebawn house is supposed to be haunted and there are many stories about it.
Ghosts of Stylebawn
The lady in black-lace is a ghost that appears to damsels in distress.
The Man in grey comes up the staircase and into a bedroom.
The chimney sweeper boy died up the chimney, when the daughter came down to breakfast and said that she had been talking to a boy dressed in rags in her bedroom.
Tim Goodbody’s father got the house exorcised by a local priest to drive out any evil spirits.
It was believed that Sir Walter Raleigh, the man who brought the potato to Ireland, stayed in the house.
Set on almost two acres at the bottom of Delgany village, Stylebawn had been in the ownership of the Gaisford St. Lawrence family for almost a quarter of a century until it was sold for development is 2003.
Timothy Goodbody Photo Collection of Open Garden Day 2003